Re: Linux Disk Performance

Heiko Schellhorn

Hi Oliver, Ernst

Welcome to the small troop of amateurs that use GNU/Linux for
EUMETCast. Nice to hear that you got it working on Linux Mint.
As one of the non-amateurs :-) running EUMETCast (TelliCast) in the meantime for more than 14 years under Linux (just switched to Terrestrial) two additional hints for you.

First I would suggest not to mount the disk under /media/ops...
It's up to you but IMHO /media/username should be only dedicated to temporary mounted drives likes USB-Sticks etc.

Second:
As you mentioned you use an external disk mounted under /media/ops/...

External disks have sometimes the bad habit to change the device during reboot (e.g. forgotten USB-stick still plugged to the system).
So easily /dev/sdb becomes /dev/sdc

So I would suggest that you mount the external disk via /etc/fstab during boot using the UUID of the partition. So you can forget as many USB sticks as you want plugged ;-)

you'll get the UUID with

blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sdb1

The entry in your /etc/fstab may then look like

UUID=71e540ba-697d-4229-b089-c27265d08fc9 /EUMETCast-data ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

Best wishes implementin your reception station.

Heiko

Dipl. Inf. Heiko Schellhorn

University of Bremen Room: NW1-U 2065
Inst. of Environmental Physics Phone: +49(0)421 218 62091
P.O. Box 33 04 40 Fax: +49(0)421 218 62070
D-28334 Bremen Mail: mailto:schell@...
Germany www:
http://www.iup.uni-bremen.de/~schell
http://www.sciamachy.de
http://www.esa-ghg-cci.org
http://www.tropomi.eu/

»In Deutschland gilt derjenige, der auf den Schmutz hinweist,
als viel gefährlicher als derjenige, der den Schmutz macht.«
- Kurt Tucholsky-

Gegen eine Dummheit, die gerade in Mode ist,
kommt keine Klugheit auf.
(Theodor Fontane)