Re: Defunct Groups

David J Taylor

Douglas,

Interesting.
But does Twitter have 'groups?'
I don't want to be inundated with tweets regarding matters I have no interest in/on.

It seems 'everyone in the world' tweets (except me).

Oh, and is it accessible via computer?
I really don't want to have to read lines of comments via my (even large screen) mobile phone.
====================================

John,

Twitter is far, far less intrusive than Facebook.

The way I use Twitter, there are no "groups" as such. You "follow" (get posts from) the people /you/ decide to follow. No-one else. However, there are some "promoted" posts where folk have paid to send that post to folk who have particular interests (presumably gathered by Twitter). In general, the S/N is very good.

You don't have to post anything, you can simple listen. If you do post something, only your followers will see that post, unless someone has a trigger based on a particular word (e.g. METEOSAT). You can tag your post with that keyword if you wish (e.g. #amsat #brexit).

Tweets are limited to 280 characters, so the text won't run over your screen. You can get Twitter to the phone, tablet, Windows PC, and (I guess) the Mac. They all link to the same account.

@eumetsat and @eumetsat_users are there, and you'll find the service announcements there as well. You can look without even joining Twitter (I think):

https://twitter.com/eumetsat_users
https://twitter.com/eumetsat
https://twitter.com/gm8arv

I post on more than just weather satellite reception, and retweet some of the EUMETSAT_USERS posts which will be of interest to folk on this group (e.g. solar outages, rapid-scan holidays). I hope that if folk don't want this they'll tell me!