Re: New member questions

David J Taylor

Dear All

My name is Costa, I am Portuguese but currently living in Cambridge, UK.
Recently I made an impulse purchase and now I am a happy owner of (nearly new) Ayecka SR-1.
It came with a EUMETCast Client Software v5.5 CD but no USB dongle.
I already made the EO Portal registration and the next step is to select the services I want/need.
When I looked at the options I admit I was overwhelmed and that is why I need your help.
What would be the basic "package"? I presume I can upgrade later, if required, right?
By the way, my interest is purely amateur. I used to have a Grundig MST-100 to receive Meteosat 7 and missed those days...
On the hardware side, what LNB do you recommend? I have read elsewhere the Inverto Ultra are the best. Aren't PLL LNB's better? I have a few laying around (from Es'HailSat 2 reception testing).
I will, hopefully this weekend, check the current firmware and upgrade as required. Any advice/tips are most welcome.
Thank you in advance.
Have a great weekend.
Regards,
FCosta
=====================================

Costa,

Welcome to the group!

Very briefly....

Data services, start with the four geostationary satellites on the Basic Service:

Meteosat Services

0?? Service
0?? SEVIRI Level 1.5 Image Data
1/4-hourly data transmissions **
1/2-hourly data transmissions **
1-hourly data transmissions
0?? Meteosat Meteorological Products
All other Meteorological Products
9.5?? E Rapid Scanning Service
RSS SEVIRI Level 1.5 Image Data ** ??
RSS Meteosat Meteorological Products
41.5?? E Indian Ocean Data Coverage
IODC SEVIRI Level 1.5 Image Data
1/4-hourly data transmissions **
1/2-hourly data transmissions **
1-hourly data transmissions
IODC Meteosat Meteorological Products
All other Meteorological Products

Yes, you can upgrade at any time.

A PLL LNB may be better (less drift and perhaps lower phase noise).

You may find some useful information on my Web site, although some does date back to early testing.

Enjoy Cambridge!