Re: Originally Re: [MSG-1] SR1 Traffic dial. - now missed packets

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for that, interesting.
So, the SR1 figures relate to received signal 'quality' and the TC figures rather to computer data handling activity and workload?

I reset SR1 and both TC's 'packet figures' yesterday at 12:10 GMT knowing bad weather was on the way.
The rain down here started around 18:00 GMT and wasn't that heavy but continuous.
I checked the 'packet readouts' at 22:41 GMT and all were still 0.

When I got up at 07:30 GMT we had had some heavy rain overnight and my HVS-1 TC icon was red with SR1's SNR around 11.00 dB.
This went up to 12.0 + whilst sitting at the computer but the red HVS-1 icon didn't reset - which it does automatically when the LM is restored.

I opened HVS-1 HTML and saw that data was actually running - being shown on the graph.
And there was one Status error message from earlier.
Clicking reset, reset that and cleared the red TC icon.

So with data flowing despite the red task bar icon, the icon is slow to reset when the link margin rises above the threshold - it seems.
Or, I seem to recall, it remains red when a Status error message has been recorded.

This is a bit confusing(?), since a red TC task bar icon suggests lost lock and no data flowing?
It really needs another colour to inform of an error message warning?
Yellow for connecting, orange for message waiting, red for lost lock - no data throughput?

At 09:10 GMT I checked missed packets and HVS-1 showed Missed Packets 1611 - Recovered Packets 0.

BS showed Missed Packets 2114 - Recovered Packets 45.

SR1 showed Bad Frame Count 2226 - Bad Packet Counts 16942.

I then reset all at that time.

I think you are saying that if the computer is struggling with the amount of data/services it is having to deal with, TC will show lost/missed packets of data?
Does then low/er SNR - though above link margin threshold, also add to this loss?

I'm running a single PC system 24/7:
Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50 GHz.
16 GB RA1.81 T HDD
Windows 10 Home
and no RAMDisk.

Programmes running: MSG-4 - + FSD, IODC, RSS, Animator, AVHRR Manager (NOAA-19, Metop A B C) Metop Manager B, Metop Manager C, GOES-16, GOES-17, HImarawi, and receive (store) Modis data - programme not running.

Task Manager appears to show my computer is not stressed - but of course I only look at that occasionally.
However, dare I say, your 'favourite' Anti Virus Software programme BullGuard 🙂 does kick in every now and again to do 'house cleaning,' optimisation and defraging - and goodness knows what else with the HDD working on this as well.

In a message dated 28/09/2019 16:10:51 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

For simplicity, just record the missed & recovered packets on a daily basis,
and reset the statistics  after noting the readings.  On a good day, both
should be zero.

If the bad DVB packets and frames are non-zero, that suggests there's an
issue with the signal.  If the DVB figures are zero, but you still have
packet loss, that suggests there's a computer issue.  By recording the times
of the losses you may be able to judge what caused them.