Re: Originally Re: [MSG-1] SR1 Traffic dial. - now missed packets

David J Taylor

David,

Thanks for your comments and the link to Arne's results.

I have to say that I've never monitored, as such, missed and recovered packets as I seldom appear to get missed data - as in gaps in images.
I have however over a long period of time noticed in TC HTML Statistics, figures for Missed Packets before FEC and FEC Recovered Packets.
The recovered packets rather few compared to the missed packets if I recall correctly.

But I don't think I was aware of 'image missed data.'

Of course when torrential rain/ice crystal clouds, cause link margin to drop below threshold, then that will cause lost data for that period and 'gaps in images.'

As you know I lost HVS-1 twice yesterday for short periods when its link margin dropped below threshold.

There is some wild weather on its way overnight so I've reset both TC HVS-1 and BS statistics -now, with sun and broken cloud, and SNR where it 'should be.'
I'll see how it goes.

Now, how relevant are the Bad Frame Count and Bad Packet Count figures on the SR1 readout - to all this?
Both of which are zero at the moment - whereas both TC HVS-1 and BS showed quite a lot of missed packets over the same operating period.

And what do they actually show?

Regards,
John

John,

For simplicity, just record the missed & recovered packets on a daily basis, and reset the statistics after noting the readings. On a good day, both should be zero.

If the bad DVB packets and frames are non-zero, that suggests there's an issue with the signal. If the DVB figures are zero, but you still have packet loss, that suggests there's a computer issue. By recording the times of the losses you may be able to judge what caused them.