Originally Re: [MSG-1] SR1 Traffic dial. - now missed packets

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for your comments and the link to Arne's results.

I have to say that I've never monitored, as such, missed and recovered packets as I seldom appear to get missed data - as in gaps in images.
I have however over a long period of time noticed in TC HTML Statistics, figures for Missed Packets before FEC and FEC Recovered Packets.
The recovered packets rather few compared to the missed packets if I recall correctly.

But I don't think I was aware of 'image missed data.'

Of course when torrential rain/ice crystal clouds, cause link margin to drop below threshold, then that will cause lost data for that period and 'gaps in images.'

As you know I lost HVS-1 twice yesterday for short periods when its link margin dropped below threshold.

There is some wild weather on its way overnight so I've reset both TC HVS-1 and BS statistics -now, with sun and broken cloud, and SNR where it 'should be.'
I'll see how it goes.

Now, how relevant are the Bad Frame Count and Bad Packet Count figures on the SR1 readout - to all this?
Both of which are zero at the moment - whereas both TC HVS-1 and BS showed quite a lot of missed packets over the same operating period.

And what do they actually show?

Regards,
John

++++++++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 27/09/2019 17:17:20 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

My
first thought would be to keep a regular check on missed & recovered
packets, and reset those statistics on a daily basis (we have automated
software which will do this).

Even in this delightful part of the world, when the weather is fair, and the
computers aren't overloaded, I can often get zero missed and zero recovered,
on BS, HVS-1 and HVS-2, Ayecka and TBS systems.  I do note though that with
the TBS software, it was only when I reverted to an earlier driver that I
got zeros, otherwise the missed and recovered counts were no-zero, but
matching.  You'll see that Arne's system is also in that state:

  http://home.hccnet.nl/a.van.belle/MRTG/tcstats-p1-tbs6983-hvs-2-tunerb.html

The monthly and yearly graphs show the base steady missed & recovered stream
best.