Re: LNB to receive hvs1 and hvs2 simultaneously and SR1 enable 2nd RX input

David J Taylor

good morning to all.
I have read that to receive the 3 eumetsat services at the same time it is necessary to have at least two receivers: one for BAS and HVS1 tuned to transponder 1 and one for HVS2 tuned to the transponder 2.
I understand that the SR1 receiver purchased through GEO, at the time of the transition from DVB to DVS2 it does not have the second input enabled and therefore, as a second receiver, a second physical RX would be needed.
So I ask myself two questions:
FIRST: is it possible to enable the second RX on the SR1?in case...how?
SECOND : I read that a valid LNB is the INVERTO ULTRA LNB and I was wondering if, replacing my old LNB with only one output with the new LNB with two outputs, I could receive both transponders at the same time.
Thanks to anyone for the support

Mario

Mario,

FIRST: Yes, you can enable the second input, but it doesn't help because you only get the required number of PIDs and enough bandwidth with the single input arrangement. You would need a second Ayecka (or other) receiver to get HVS-2.

For the second receiver you could get a TBS 5925/5927 USB receiver for example, perhaps even a second-hand one, and use that for the HVS-2 transmission, and feed it into your PC with a USB connection, or a TBS6903 PCIe card which has two tuners already. Perhaps use the TBS6903 card for HVS-1 and HVS-2, keeping your Ayecka configured for BS alone (which makes it a more reliable service, since low HVS-1 signals won't then affect the BS data).

SECOND: The only reason to replace the LNB would be to get improved performance. Perhaps a more modern LNB would have slightly better performance, but don't believe all the specifications! Because the two transponders have the same polarisation, and are in the same frequency band, the signal from both transponders will be present in the single cable you already have - but on slightly different frequencies. Therefore you can use a splitter to feed two receivers, rather than needing a two output LNB. What I do find useful is to have the second LNB output available for monitoring purposes, using a Satellite TV receiver or whatever, for checking signal strengths on adjacent channels or signals with the other polarisation. I have mine connected to a TBS5925 and run the CrazyCat scanning software to see the spectrum content for both polarisations:

https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/dvb-s2/T1-T2.html
https://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/dvb-s2/T1-T2.html#h+v