Re: suitable LNB for Eutelsat 10A Eumetcast reception

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Hello,
My 125cm Gibertini dish is located near Erlangen, Germany, i.e. Northern Bavaria.
It is on my balcony.
The signal I get from Eutelsat 9A is quite strong in the 15dB region whereas with Eutelsat 10A I am struggling to get set in the 11db region.
I have already spent many hours using various LNBs in order to push the Eumetcast signal strength to at least 13db which I think
is considered necessary as a minimum.
HVS-1 reception at around 11dB does happen with the Goes 17 ABI manager Himawari reception is not possible.
As some of you have told me that with my 1.25m dish a 13dB signal strength should be easily obtainable I wonder
to which locations this applies. Probably those happy users are way North of me, UK, Scandinavia etc.
It would be helpful for my final efforts to know which LNB brands they use together with their 1m and 1.25m dishes
as well as their exact locations.
Perhaps there is a "THE" LNB on the market likely to satisfy also my needs.
I look forward to your news.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Roland

Roland,

If you are getting GOES-17 you can get Himawari - they are on the same transponder. Make sure that:

1 - You have channel E1H-TPG-3 enabled, pointing its output to your received\EUMETSAT_Data_Channel_4 directory.

2 - You have the most recent MSG Data Manager (3.1.12 or later)

3 - In Channel Selection, FSD, Himawari you have your channels selected.

The location of your dish may not be the best. The sky has a very low temperature at radio frequencies, basically because you have a clear path to space for most of the time. Fog, cloud, ice-crystals etc. will make the temperature as seen by the antenna higher, and higher temperatures can mean more noise, and attenuation will result in less signal, making the SNR worse.

It is particularly important when we are dealing with weaker signals (such as our EUTELSAT 10A) that the antenna can "see" as little as possible at ground temperatures. The LNB should not "see" anything outside the dish, but in practice it will, so behind the dish should not be "warm", nor should anything in front of the dish. Imagine a cone starting with the diameter of the dish, and diverging outwards slightly as it points towards the satellite. Any trees? Leaves? Cut them down!

You might even be better with a slightly smaller dish if it can be better located.