TC V2.14.4 and RAMDisk?

geojohnt@...

Hello Group,

I wonder if there are users in the group with a one PC receiving/processing system, receiving all BS and HVS-1 imaging and using a RAMDisk.

As many will know I've at last moved to TC V2.14.4 for BS and for the reception of HVS-1 channels with 'varying degrees of success.'

I'm running:
MDM - MSG-4, IODC, RSS GOES-16, GOES-17, Himawari - and Animator for RSS.
AVHRR Manager, 2 X Metop Manager.

All 24/7.

I have good BS SNR, and 'more than adequate' on HVS-1 from a 1 m dish and Inverto Black Ultra LNB

Now, my single PC system computer - i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 10 - appears to have slowed down since having all the extra programmes running in regards of opening and loading data for HRPT Reader and GeoSatSignal.
Not a problem but one now has to wait a little longer.

I noticed since upgrading to the 'latest' TC, that my previous RAMDisk of 997 MB is not being used.
OK, I know that TC V2.14. xxx is designed to do the job of RAMDisk in temp folders, and I see it does just that.

However, I had a look at the 'latest' EUM TD 15 yesterday and see that it has quite a lot of information on configuration and using a RAMDisk.
Not only that, suggesting(?) the use of SSD's against HDD's, for their speed.
Pages 34 - 35.

I know that SSD's are not in favour by some(?) but I wonder if anyone has any comments/experience on 'still' using a RAMDisk and using SSD's in the data path?

Regards,
John Tellick.