Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Hartmut Schulla

Solved!

Running condaprompt as admin solved the problem.

Regards

Hartmut

Von: MSG-1@groups.io [mailto:MSG-1@groups.io] Im Auftrag von Hartmut Schulla
Gesendet: Montag, 15. April 2019 08:36
An: MSG-1@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Hi folks!

I’m trying miniconda for windows.

I cannt get satpy/pytroll because ssl-support is unavailable in miniconda:

(pytroll) C:\Users\Hartmut>conda install satpy

Collecting package metadata: failed

CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED for url <https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/noarch/repodata.json.bz2>

Elapsed: -

An HTTP error occurred when trying to retrieve this URL.

HTTP errors are often intermittent, and a simple retry will get you on your way.

If your current network has https://www.anaconda.com blocked, please file

a support request with your network engineering team.

SSLError(MaxRetryError('HTTPSConnectionPool(host=\'repo.anaconda.com\', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /pkgs/main/noarch/repodata.json.bz2 (Caused by SSLError("Can\'t connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available."))'))

Can anyybody help me?

Von: MSG-1@groups.io [mailto:MSG-1@groups.io] Im Auftrag von Christian Peters via Groups.Io
Gesendet: Sonntag, 14. April 2019 22:03
An: MSG-1@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [MSG-1] Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Simon,

that's cool! I read about some problems in the past....but that's really good news!
Another cause to dive into PyTroll...! ;-)

Regards,

Christian

Am 14.04.19 um 21:57 schrieb simonproud:

Hi Christian,

I run (and develop) SatPy on a windows machine, it works without any problems or modifications compared to Linux. Just install Miniconda and away you go!

Simon

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 at 20:54, Christian Peters via Groups.Io <hctpeters=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ernst,

really a great overview about the possibilities we have with PyTroll/Python
to process data received by EUMETCAST. The detailed installation instructions and the
scripts are very helpful to dive into the magic of "make it by yourself" and helps a lot, as the
documentation of PyTroll lacks some more code examples. It is really amazing that you can
have nice composites with a few lines of code! Really highly integrated stuff!

Thank you very much for your efforts, maybe someone will now try PyTroll under Windows or Mac OS?
But I think the 'best' platform could be Linux as it's developed on...
Maybe worth a try to install Linux for the first time...? ;-)

Regards,

Christian

Am 13.04.19 um 10:28 schrieb Ernst Lobsiger:

Dear All,

I'am back with PyTroll/SatPy for EUMETCast. Python is going to version 3.7+ next year
and all support for Python 2.7 will end on January 1st 2020. I have now (re-)written my
HOWTO using Python 3.7.3 on a Debian 10 (Buster, still testing) GNU/Linux box. I attach
this HOWTO and a couple of PyTroll/SatPy scripts that produce high quality images. It
must be noted that these scripts should run with little adaptions under Windows with
Anaconda3 and PyTroll/SatPy installed. This means that installation method 3 described
in my HOWTO can be used on Windows or Mc OS boxes as well. One thing I'd like to stress
is that PyTroll/SatPy has projection library Proj under the hood. So it is rather easy
to reproject data moving your station or any other point of interest into the center of
the picture. With Proj more or less any map projection you can think of is included.

I now wrote a number of scripts for polar orbiting satellites as well. If you get
data from Metop_A/B/C, Suomi_NPP, NOAA-20 or EOS-Aqua/Terra each of these satellites
will produce one usable pass near or over your station every day and night. My scripts
will automatically pick up the right files to produce images of your "personal" pass.

I have put a couple of images that can be produced on my GNU/Linux receiver Terra.

Terra can be reached here:  http://185.74.120.175:85/Pictures

PyTroll/SatPy is now slowly becomming mature and the documentation has been improved
as well. We witness the grow up of a very professional software tool that is already
used by many universities and national met offices 24/7. Those who are willing to read
the documentation and climb some learning curve can be part of the development. This
is all FOSS and the small team of core developers is responsive and willing to help.

Cheers,
Ernst

P.S. As my text files were written under GNU/Linux Windows users might miss CRs at the
end of lines. If this is the case open the files with WordPad and (re-)save them again.
And *YES* I'm still a Python dummy. Don't compare my code with what people like Simon do.

Join MSG-1@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.