Re: Pytroll/SatPy for EUMETCast

Ernst Lobsiger

Dear All,

I'am back with PyTroll/SatPy for EUMETCast. Python is going to version 3.7+ next year
and all support for Python 2.7 will end on January 1st 2020. I have now (re-)written my
HOWTO using Python 3.7.3 on a Debian 10 (Buster, still testing) GNU/Linux box. I attach
this HOWTO and a couple of PyTroll/SatPy scripts that produce high quality images. It
must be noted that these scripts should run with little adaptions under Windows with
Anaconda3 and PyTroll/SatPy installed. This means that installation method 3 described
in my HOWTO can be used on Windows or Mc OS boxes as well. One thing I'd like to stress
is that PyTroll/SatPy has projection library Proj under the hood. So it is rather easy
to reproject data moving your station or any other point of interest into the center of
the picture. With Proj more or less any map projection you can think of is included.

I now wrote a number of scripts for polar orbiting satellites as well. If you get
data from Metop_A/B/C, Suomi_NPP, NOAA-20 or EOS-Aqua/Terra each of these satellites
will produce one usable pass near or over your station every day and night. My scripts
will automatically pick up the right files to produce images of your "personal" pass.

I have put a couple of images that can be produced on my GNU/Linux receiver Terra.

Terra can be reached here:  http://185.74.120.175:85/Pictures

PyTroll/SatPy is now slowly becomming mature and the documentation has been improved
as well. We witness the grow up of a very professional software tool that is already
used by many universities and national met offices 24/7. Those who are willing to read
the documentation and climb some learning curve can be part of the development. This
is all FOSS and the small team of core developers is responsive and willing to help.

P.S. As my text files were written under GNU/Linux Windows users might miss CRs at the
end of lines. If this is the case open the files with WordPad and (re-)save them again.
And *YES* I'm still a Python dummy. Don't compare my code with what people like Simon do.