Re: Reducing packet loss

Thorsten Miglus

Hi David,

I take BAS, HVS-1 and HVS-2 with one PC. All data is flowing to a 9 GB RAM-Disk. The data from the RAM-Disk is processed by several progams and the results are stored at a external USB HDD with 4 TB. Sentinel 3 A/B have two 2 TB internal SATA HDD's for it's own.
I observe no data losses.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 12:08 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
Folks,

I had a question from someone about reducing packet loss when using Windows, but I felt that my advice might be out of date, so I would appreciate input here.

- in the past disk access speed has been the major problem for the Basic Service, which has been addressed by using a RAMdisk as detailed on my Web pages. As it works, I've left that on the systems here.

- for the High Volume Service HVS-1 I've had success using a separate hard disk drive for the data, and then either using that data directly on the receiving PC, or over the network on a second processing PC.

- I'm not really using HVS-2, but on one system I wrote the data to a RAMdisk, and on another to an HDD (not carrying BAS or system activity), and this seems to work well, too. The data is immediately deleted.

- I know that Arne van Belle has a "Write and Move" solution where he has a large RAMdisk and all three services use the same write to RAMdisk, then copy completed file to HDD. I tried something similar for HVS-1/2 using Robocopy and it also worked. However that PC now uses write HVS-1 to HDD, HVS-2 to RAMdisk.

With any modern PC CPU doesn't seem to be much of an issue for reception, although I notice that some recent Windows updates have caused CPU usage by the TelliCast process to increase. What is critical is minimising disk activity as mentioned in the EUMETSAT guides by stopping anti-virus, defrag, indexing etc. just for those disks (ideally all partitions on those physical disks). SSD I recommend just for the operating system, as taking the full data load onto a single SSD may wear it out prematurely.

OK, the group would like to hear from you on your successful solutions!

Thanks,