Re: HD AWOL?

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for further thoughts.

I had a look at CrystalDiskInfo on 'this other' computer and there appeared to be 3 versions and multiple download option blue tabs on all three.
????

>you are one of the very few persons who have found that something started working after a Windows update!
Yes, it's uncanny, isn't it?!
Nobody was more surprised than me.

>All being well, it's just a glitch, but...replacement HDs and cloning
>software aren't that expensive.

I was thinking that this might have been the only way forward - however, if the 'old' HDD was dead, how do you clone?
Or, is there a magic way to resurrect it?

Back in the good old days of EUMETCast DVB-S from Eurobird 9, [60 - 85 cm dish, those were the days?] my computer HDD died at one of our GEO Symposium's at the NSC.
Arne said he would have a look at it and I sent it to him.
Magically, he got it going again so I could install it into the computer - now with a new HDD - and transfer the data over.

+++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 26/03/2019 14:51:25 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

John,

Well, the BIOS should be a read-only environment unless you press Save
rather than Exit or Cancel, but I take your point.

I do often hear of folk who complain that X< Y or Z doesn't work after a
Windows Update (you should check after the second Tuesday of the month), but
you are one of the very few persons who have found that something started
working after a Windows update!

I'd still be inclined to check that HDD with CrystalDiskInfo and see whether
it's reported as Healthy or not.  It's not necessarily something to be
concerned about if there's an issue, but watch out for an increasing value
of Reallocated Sector Count.  That's when a bit of the disk has gone bad but
the content has been moved elsewhere.  I'd run a check with a current
version of MalwareBytes as well - just in case.