Re: HD AWOL?

geojohnt@...

David,

Thanks for your comments.

>You might be able to get into the BIOS and see whether the HDD (E:) is
>listed.

Oh no, I thought.
Get into the bios - how do I do that?
And after the disaster I had last February with a failed EUMETCast computer - probably due to my 'fiddling,' and the large bill I had to fix the problem - corrupted Windows 10, and then having to reload and configure many old programmes which had 'disappeared' - I've decided, no more fiddling.

However I did open Device Manager and the E:\ HD was not shown.
I took the side off the computer which allowed a (very) long overdue 'hoover' and tried the connections - all appeared OK.
Rebooted - same problem.

I went into my Bullguard Antivirus/security - don't ask me why - which I know you hate, which told me I had several 'vulnerabilities.'
One of these was 'urgent Windows updates' pending.
I thought twice about downloading and installing these as the computer 'wasn't working.'

However, I went ahead and they were all downloaded and installed and 'it' told me to reboot which I did.

Surprise, surprise, Desktop icons were fully loaded, Tellicast ran automatically and E:\ was back.
All MSG programmes running as normal!

?????!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In a message dated 26/03/2019 11:45:49 GMT Standard Time, gm8arv@... writes:

Dear All,

Er, I appear to have lost my E:\ data drive overnight.

I run 24/7 but when I switched the monitors on at 08:00 this morning all
running programmes [MDM  - 0 degrees, IODC, RSS, AVHRR, Animator,
Metop A, Metop B] had stopped running at 02:15 - 02:20.

TC was still showing a pink T.
And SR1 Console was still showing signal.

I closed all programmes and rebooted the computer and found all MSG
programme desktop icons 'white' - except HRPT Reader(?), RAMDISK
and those that reside on C:\.

'This PC' shows no E:\ Data (HD) drive - as in attached screen shot.

Mmmmm?

Regards,
John Tellick.
=====================================

John,

It seems that your HRPT Reader was installed on C: - that's fine.

You might be able to get into the BIOS and see whether the HDD (E:) is
listed.  Perhaps a connector has fallen out?  Worth opening the box to
check.

I recently had a data disk fail which had been taking much of the HVS-1 and
HVS-2 feeds and just saving the data - no processing.  Since then I been
cutting back on the data saved as far as possible on all PCs.

There's one utility you might try:

  https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

which can show the basic health of an SSD or HDD.

Good luck!