Re: Rainfall

David J Taylor

Just recently the met office , in the area I often visit, North Cyprus,
have been saying " According to the latest forecast, heavy and thundery
rain is on the way, with a downpour of 21-50kg per m2 expected. Gales
from south and west are also expected."

Does any one know if this is now the world wide accepted way of
expressing rainfall as " kg per m2 " rather than inches (or mm) of rain ??

Comments would be appreciated !!

Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

I recall having this discussion with EUMETSAT some years ago, and IIRC the outcome is that the numbers are the same - but perhaps that was rain rate rather than total amount. I hope someone here can answer.