Re: Goes-15

David J Taylor

David,

Whatever the name for it (double, blurry or fuzzy) starting 00:00 UTC it disappeared and all seems well at the edges. This does not, however, alter the desire to have Goes-17 taking over as soon as possible.
Btw, I read that there are plans to use Goes-15 IR in tandem during the 'hot' periods in which the Goes-17 IR channels are affected, so there might be less missing thermal than expected.
There is a nice read here http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/29874 and an informative power point presentation at:
https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tims/pptx/ABI_AQ_2018_Schmit_nearFinal.pptx

Cheers,
Ferdinand

Thanks, Ferdinand. I only checked data from last night's 2100 GOES-15 (maximum visible) so I'm pleased it's now resolved.

If they do plan GOES-15 IR fill in, I hope they rectify it to the same nominal longitude and to the same resolution standards. Having to cater for both would be an unwelcome pain! I think they still have GOES-13 and GOES-14 in operational orbits (i.e. non-graveyard orbits).

Twitter:@gm8arv