From: "David J Taylor via Groups.Io" <gm8arv@...>
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Sent: 01/11/2018 08:59:58
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3)...
yellow exclamation mark

Hi David,
That link cheered me up this morning :-). Could be very useful anyone
thinking of purchasing hard drives for the data. I have a fair amount
of data that downloads from EUMETSat that i am sure isnt relevant to my
software. I will have to try and sift through the data i require and
untick the irrelevant stuff, which should be interesting working that
one out. I have both BAS and HVS-1.
My thoughts now is to keep your Msg Data Manager, Msg Animator etc and
GeoSatSignal which are the main ones i use for using   the data on the
SSD drive along with some less intensive software, and then purchase an
external hard drive to store the data on. Would you recommend any
particular drive and i would have thought a 2 or 3 tb would probably
do.
Not sure about the RAMdisk as i havent delved too much in to that, but
do have 16mb RAM on my new windows10 computer which i think would be
very handy for a RAMdisk. I must read your article again  on the
RAMdisk
that I downloaded from  your webpage, and have printed out. At the
moment the floor of my office is full of instructions, FAQs . I tend to
print everything out.
The computer should be done by tomorrow. It should be interesting what
they have to say about making the  internal bridging to work , although
as you say i should not need it now.
Have a good day
cheers
Philip
PS this is a very long thread and i am sure there will be more probs (
thats confidence for you :-)  )and will start a new topic then. I hope
some of this thread is useful to other non techie newbies. I am 65
years
young and sometimes it takes new stuff a bit of sinking in.
=============================

Yes, it's a pity that more of this experience isn't distilled into the
excellent GEO Quarterly magazine.  I'm sure the editor would appreciate
the contributions.

The issue with the SSD is writing, not reading, so it's ideal for
stored read-much write-little data.  Any of today's 2-3 TB HDs would be
fine, you hear tales of brand X being good and brand Y being terrible,
countered by someone else with the opposite experience.  I would ask
Novatech, as they are computer builders and perhaps therefore less
likely to recommend something which they had less faith in:

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrives-internal/3.5inchharddrives/3tb/

The important thing with EUMETCast is to have the "tmp" files on the
same disk partition (drive letter) as the "received" files.  For BS and
HVS-1 you /might/ get away without a RAMdisk today.  Bear in mind that
some material on my Web site may date back 15 years, when computers
were much less powerful (but we also had much less data to handle).

BTW: I'm 70, so I appreciate your problems with something new!

-- SatSignal Software - Quality software for you

---
https://www.avg.com

--
Alan Sewards