TBS 6903 extra power cable

nigel

Hi to users of the TBS 6903 in a Linux machine,
I am endeavoring to set up a new Eumetcast receiving station, using Debian 9  and following the Eumetsat Linux installation guide that is delivered to the Info-Channel-1 regularly. (Also available here :-)
ftp://ftp.eumetsat.int/pub/OPS/out/user/EUMETCast_Support/EUMETCast_Licence_cd/Linux/DVB_devices/Common_Apps/Readme_dvb-eumetcast_debian_ubuntu.txt

First question that comes to mind is do I need to use the separate power cable that comes with the card ?
I've done some googling around and opinions seem to be divided and the User Manual that comes with the card doesn't mention it !
It's easy to connect so not a problem to use but I'm curious to know what problems, if any, to expect, if I don't use it.
Thanks for any comments !
Nigel