Re: Atlantic hurricanes.

Alan Sewards

Simon,

  As I suggested in my original post, I see the Basic Service  as containing data suitable for the non-professional. There is no need to include all the channels of a new high performance satellite, for example the visible (Ch 2) and IR (Ch 9) and perhaps WV (Ch 5) would satisfy for MSG, GOES and probably Sentinel and Himawari. I'm not so bothered about being able to do direct receive(after all, its a relay via a TV sat), as being able to include the data in MSG Animator!

    thank you for the addresses for getting imagery over the web.

Best regards - Alan S

On 21-Sep-18 9:52 AM, simonproud wrote:
Alan,
GOES-E (and soon GOES-W) *are* new satellites with high performance radiometers :-) As Thorsten said there simply isn't room on the basic service for them (just wait 'til we get MTG!)

It's worth noting, though, that EUMETCAST is not the only means of receiving GOES/Himawari data:
GOES data is available in near-realtime through the AWS web service: https://registry.opendata.aws/noaa-goes/
We already use this as it's more reliable than the satellite link, tends to be slightly faster and includes all channels at full resolution - including CONUS and MESO subsectors.

Himawari data is available in near-realtime through the p-tree web service: http://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ptree/registration_top.html
This uses a different data format to EUMETCAST (HSD rather than HRIT) but is slightly faster and, like GOES, includes the subsector scans.

These web links are, of course, not as much fun or as satisfying as receiving the data via your own dish - but they do mean that you can still access the data if you can't receive the EUMETCAST HVS.

Hope that is of use!
Simon

On 20 September 2018 at 16:52, Alan Sewards <alan@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

    We don't seem to have the same idea of what a 'Basic Service' is for. I would have thought that it would carry all the data of principal interest to UK and European persons for general weather prediction and meteorological interest, and usable for education services. GOES E and W are definitely in that category. New satellites with high performance radiometers and many channels, or those serving distant parts of the world, would more appropriately be carried on the HVS channels, as they would not be of the same interest to the first category of possible users. HVS users might be expected to carry the higher costs of reception as many will want the HVS services for professional use or revenue generation. I am definitely in the first category of user and having a usable margin of only 1.5 dB for the HVS channels are unwilling to put the extra cost and effort into getting them. My pitiful 1.5 dB comes from as 125cm dish, which cost me over 400€ a few years ago to buy and have put in place.

Best regards - Alan Sewards

 11-Sep-18 8:39 PM, Thorsten Miglus wrote:
Douglas,

I fully agree. To install a dish, sufficient for HVS-1, is within the reach of an amateur.
For an amateur it is acceptable to observe some outages during bad weather.
It is fun to receive the high resolution images in real time for free.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 05:12 PM, Douglas Deans wrote:
I agree with Simon and David.
HVS-1 is not as difficult as people make out. I run a 1 metre dish to help with the poorer Scottish signal and 95% of the time I have no problems with HVS-1 despite the poorer signal and weather here in Scotland.
I am able to have HVS-1 on a different receiver so that on the occasions there are problems it does not interfere with the basic service but that is a luxury rather than a necessity.

In addition to what David has rightly said about the additional loss of GOES W by the end of the year remember Himawari will be on HVS-1 by tomorrow and lost to basic by October 10th. The NOAA Polars will follow with VIIRS and NOAA 20 is already on test on HVS-1 (with superb imagery).

As Simon correctly points out the volume, size and frequency of new satellite data is too onerous for the basic service.

Alan Sewards
--
email: alan@...
web site: http://asewards.free.fr