PC requirements - comparison of single and dual systems.

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I recently had chance to compare some results with Sam Elsdon who
commented about disk activity on a single PC system during
animation. We compared results when not running animation - my
system just running MSG Data Manager, and Sam's running the Tellique
software as well. Measurements done with the Windows Performance
Monitor. Thanks to Sam for sharing his results.

Dual PC setup:

% Disk Time: 1-2%
Average disk bytes per transfer: 10KB
Disk transfers per second: 5

Single PC setup:

% Disk Time: 9%
Average disk bytes per transfer: 33KB
Disk transfers per second: 150

Now this isn't a scientific comparison on two identical PCs with two
identical operating systems, memory, or disks. However, 150 disk
I/Os per second is massive! One disk I/O every six milliseconds.
Both a small cluster size and lack of regular defragmentation could
cause this result, but having to handle all the temporary I/O for
the Tellique software, plus writing and reading 8 segment files to
and from disk instead of one network transfer must contributes as
well.

My recommendation would be that, if you must use a single PC system,
be prepared to tune that system carefully for best operation.

Comments welcomed.