Re: How to prevent automated updates on Windows 10 Home

Thorsten Miglus

Hi Barry,

please run cmd (command line) as Administrator, not the PowerShell.

Cheers,
Thorsten

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Barry Smith wrote:
In message <7559.1534273568566766047@groups.io>
"Thorsten Miglus" <thorsten.miglus@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I am testing a new method to prevent automated updates on Windows 10.
This method works with Win 10 version 1709 and up.
I'd like to try this on one of my PCs. I have 2 and both are Windows
10 Pro version 1803.

C:\Windows\System32\UsoClient.exe is executed for automated updates.
Removing all permissions from UsoClient.exe prevents automated updates
to start.
But you can still run update scans manually by opening Settings >
Update & Security.
How to do this:
1. Run the command line as admistrator.
Is this the same as Administrator: Windows PowerShell ?

or should I use Run Open cmd ?

2. Take over ownership of UsoClient.exe:
takeown /f ”%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe• /a
3. Remove permissions:
*icacls ”%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe• /inheritance:r /remove
”Administrators• ”Authenticated Users• ”Users• ”System•
* Note that you may need to change the English group names if you use
a non-English edition of Windows.
To undo the changes enter:
*icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /reset*
Source: https://info.greatis.com/guide/disable/allow-manual-updates/
Cheers,
Thorsten *
*