Re: How to prevent automated updates on Windows 10 Home

Barry Smith

In message <7559.1534273568566766047@groups.io>
"Thorsten Miglus" <thorsten.miglus@kabelmail.de> wrote:

Hi all,
I am testing a new method to prevent automated updates on Windows 10.
This method works with Win 10 version 1709 and up.
I'd like to try this on one of my PCs. I have 2 and both are Windows
10 Pro version 1803.

C:\Windows\System32\UsoClient.exe is executed for automated updates.
Removing all permissions from UsoClient.exe prevents automated updates
to start.
But you can still run update scans manually by opening Settings >
Update & Security.
How to do this:
1. Run the command line as admistrator.
Is this the same as Administrator: Windows PowerShell ?

or should I use Run Open cmd ?

2. Take over ownership of UsoClient.exe:
takeown /f ”%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe• /a
3. Remove permissions:
*icacls ”%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe• /inheritance:r /remove
”Administrators• ”Authenticated Users• ”Users• ”System•
* Note that you may need to change the English group names if you use
a non-English edition of Windows.
To undo the changes enter:
*icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /reset*
Source: https://info.greatis.com/guide/disable/allow-manual-updates/
Cheers,
Thorsten *
*