Re: RSS

Ferdinand Valk

-----Original Message-----
From: MSG-1@groups.io <MSG-1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Deans via
Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, 11 August, 2018 16:37
To: MSG-1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] RSS

On 11/08/2018 15:00, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes you are right David, it is only affecting the meteorological
products ( with one exception.) I should have read it more carefully
the first time.

============================
Glad you read it that way too, Ian! For one moment I thought they
might have found a way of squeezing more segments into the 5 minutes,
or changing the interval to 7 minutes, or something else which would
have required massive amounts or reprogramming! Fortunately, not!

I don't read it that way. The heading and the first paragraph in the news item
seems to imply it is the RSS and then they explain what meteorological
products will also be affected. It is certainly not very clear.
If your assumption is correct I can only assume that the current meteorological
products do not cover the area provided by the existing RSS scan. I haven't
taken them for a while so I have forgotten.
If they cover the RSS scan as currently provided how can they extend their
products without getting extended raw data ?

I do take the RSS met products. The current coverage is smaller than it will be. In East-West direction there are no changes; the north-south coverage will be extended to 22 degrees N. As I understand it this also applies to the basic 11 RSS channels themselves. I'm not sure if the HRV channel will be affected or not.

Ferdinand