Re: HVS-2

Douglas Deans

On 18/06/2018 16:59, David J Taylor via Groups.Io wrote:
One input OF MY TBS 6903 is handling the new S3A data and the existing
data very well on the HVS-2 service.
So S3A ERR and EFR, NOAA 20 VIIRS M and DNB, and GOES 16 ABI and GLM
sometimes simultaneously without loss.
Bodes well for S3B being added and NOAA 20 and GOES 16 going to HVS-1
(on the other 6903 input).
================================
Thanks for the report, Douglas.  I've configured my single-cable TBS6903 system to handle both data streams, but the initial impression is that sending 600 MB files over the network to the processing PC every few minutes is not such a great idea.  I'll leave it for a while, but I'm coming round more to thinking of a single PC for both receive and processing may be a better option for these large data streams.
The issue only arose because the S3A data used to be on a PC handling HVS-1, and now it will have to move to HVS-2 which is currently on a different PC. Once the swaps are complete I'll have to think about possible reconfiguration.
I haven't looked at Sentinel data for a while, to be honest, and mot likely I would use an Internet service now that such good processing algorithms are available free of charge.  I do watch the GOES-16 data, and occasionally NOAA-20 (e.g. day-night).
73,
David GM8ARV

Very interesting David. I use a single computer which is now over 5 years old although was cutting edge at the time ! My current arrangement is now the SR1 for BS and the TBS 6903 (input 0) for HVS-2. When NOAA 20 and GOES 16 move to HVS-1, I will use the second TBS 6903 input (single cable input system using BDADataEx).

Strangely after years of problems with HVS data using the SR1 (although proven not to be an issue with the SR1 itself) a recent test shows that the issue has gone. No idea why but suspect windows update as I have not changed anything during the previous years of problems.
However I will probably leave the BS service on its own given the Scottish winters (and recently the Scottish summer !!).

We are spoilt for choice.

Regards.