Re: GOES 16.

a_van_belle

http://www.goes-r.gov/users/docs/PUG-L1b-vol3.pdf http://www.goes-r.gov/users/docs/PUG-L1b-vol3.pdf

Page 47:

Table 5.1.3.1-1 Applications of the Radiances Product GOES 16
ABI Central Native Primary Use
Band Wavelength(um) Resolution (km)
1 0.47 1 Daytime aerosol over land, coastal water mapping.
2 0.64 0.5 Daytime clouds, fog, insolation, winds.
3 0.865 1 Daytime vegetation, burn scar, aerosol over water, winds.
4 1.378 2 Daytime cirrus cloud.
5 1.61 1 Daytime cloud-top phase and particle size, snow.
6 2.25 2 Daytime land, cloud properties, particle size, vegetation, snow.
7 3.9 2 Surface and cloud, fog at night, fire, winds.
8 6.185 2 High-level atmospheric water vapor, winds, rainfall.
9 6.95 2 Midlevel atmospheric water vapor, winds, rainfall.
10 7.34 2 Lower-level water vapor, winds, and SO2.
11 8.5 2 Total water for stability, cloud phase, dust SO2, rainfall.
12 9.61 2 Total ozone, turbulence, winds.
13 10.35 2 Surface and clouds.
14 11.2 2 Imagery, sea surface temperature, clouds, rainfall.
15 12.3 2 Total water, volcanic ash, sea surface temperature.
16 13.3 2 Air temperature, cloud heights.

So channel 2 is the spectacular 0.5 KM visual channel.

But EUMETSAT announced:
"The data are half-hourly full disk data in 2km resolution in channels 2-16. They are distributed in their native netCDF format."

So I am not sure what to expect on Channel/band 2 in future.
Currently both 02 and 03 channels produce the same 5424 x 5424 x 24 BPP Full globe resolution images in David's NetCDFreader.

I can confirm that i receive OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M3C02_G16_.........
up to OR_ABI-L1b-RadF-M3C16_G16_......... files, so channels 02 to 16.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

---In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, <dsdeans@btinternet.com> wrote :

On 07/10/2017 16:25, mads.kristoffersen@yahoo.com mailto:mads.kristoffersen@yahoo.com [MSG-1] wrote:
> Hi

> Can anyone explain why Channel 1 is not distributed over EUMETCast?
>

> Kind Regards
> Mads

I will need to check but I think it has a higher spatial resolution,
perhaps 0.5km. There will be many things the Americans will get (1 min
RSS, lightning mapper etc) that will be of little interest in Europe.

I expect with the size of datas nowadays that Eumetsat will need to be
careful even with 2 transponders. For example the huge sentinel data
will double when Sentinel 3B comes on stream.