Re: TC 2.14.1-3 released!?

Christian Peters

David,

it seems quite easier on Linux as I only had to unpack the zipped tar
file which installed the .ini files (and did backups from old files), a
startup script and the tellicast binary.

It's reasonable to do a consistent data structure in the future.
But there are some modifications here too (even to run mvmsg from Ernst)
so I will first stay on my data structure.
But it was no problem to modify the use the cast-client_* files and use
my cast-client-channels_*.ini files with my directory structure.
If there will be a second HVS service in the future then it would be
really nice to have the data split into bas, hvs_1 and hvs_2 directories.

Interesting times....but I guess then there must be new hardware to be
ready....?

Regards,

Christian

Am 07.01.17 um 08:47 schrieb 'David J Taylor' gm8arv@... [MSG-1]:

Hi all,

I just noticed that there is a Tellicast V 2.14. available/sent at the
Info
Channel 1!?
Did anyone just updated to the new version. Any problems on Linux (@
Ernst/Simon/Rob)?
What's the idea for the new additional second possible hvs instance
(hvs-2)?

Phew...did some modification from the standard dirs (logs/data/config
files
naming)while testing phase so updatingto 2.14. will be some work to
get up
all and running again! Maybe some work for a day off...! ;-).

Regadrs,

Christian

Sent yesterday but not yet appeared.....

Christian,

A number of us have been using the 2.14.2 client for some time, and it's
actually very similar to the 2.12.1 used for the HVS reception. I asked
EUMETSAT about upgrading, compared to just replacing the .EXE and
licence.ini files, and they replied:

Of course the procedure described below works, as the client is just a
simple executable with configuration files. However I would recommend
to go
through a fresh installation

mainly for the following reasons:
- multiple services and shortcuts are quickly installed
- multiple sessions are also installed as services (can then run without
need for login)
- firewall changes are automatically done
- future upgrades will be easier (username and password will be known
to the
installer, kept in registry)

But also for these:
- standard locations for the data/logs/tmp/ installation directories are
used
- standard port numbers for shell interfaces will be used
- existing channel configuration files can be maintained, or overwritten
(with backups made)

In short, it may make more effort now, but will make future upgrades
easier.
When new services are added (more transponders, terrestrial) an upgrade
installation will be much easier than maintaining it manually.

So it will help EUMETSAT in trouble-shooting if everyone has a standard
installation, which is a good idea.

However, like you, I have installations which are somewhat customised,
so I
have continued with a simple replacement of the two files I mentioned and
one update to the client configuration, and all appears well.

Looking to the future, when Sentinel 3B is launched that's the
bandwidth of
the current DVB-S2 transponder fully used up, and there is data to come
beyond that (not to mention GOES-16), so it's likely that a second
transponder will need to be used. Exciting times ahead!