Re: Howto monitor/graph Tellicast/receiver device in Linux?

Christian Peters

Ernst,

yes...strange!?!
This worked here on Ubuntu:

upd=`femon -a0 -c1 2>/dev/null | tail -n1 | cut -d'|' -f3 |cut -d' ' -f3`
upd=N:`echo $((0x${upd})) | awk '{print ( $1/10.0 ) }'`

Maybe a shell problem here?

Yes...I read something about and you mentioned before that's not easy to
switch off HVS on Linux!?
At the moment I have a 1m dish and got around EsN0=11.0-11.5dB. Should
be a little bit higher if I read your values!? Maybe I should test
another LNB (at the moment a Rocket LNB, but have an Inverto Black
already here) and should try to do some more adjustments on the dish to
get more headroom?

But I think it's interesting to get even HVS if it is possible with one
TBS USB Box!? Can I stay on 2.4.3a to receive HVS additional or
should/have I to switch to the new Client 2.12_1 you tested already? But
I think I then have to register first for HVS at Eumetsat!?
Would be hard to switch now and do all the configuration again!? :-D But
maybe even fun.....:-)

I will have a look to that link to hardcode switch off 16APSK 2/3....!
Maybe a good solution to get a really stable BS.

Regards,

Christian

Am 21.02.16 um 16:40 schrieb ernst.lobsiger@... [MSG-1]:

Christian

I checked my code to update S/N (EsNo). I do not see what should be
changed: I take the HEX number from femon and add 0x in front.
Conversion is then done by awk when printing and dividing by 10 at the
same time. With a 90cm dish on a clear day you should get around EsN0
= 11.5 dB. A 1m dish should give 12 - 13dB.

One more word about BS versus HVS. Your TBS-5925 takes both and when
the link margin for 16APSK 2/3 goes to 0 this will harm BS even if you
do not take HVS data with a second instance of tc-recv. So if you only
intend to take BS and nothing else you should switch off HVS in the
demodulator. This is easy under Windows but there is no MODCOD
selection tool under GNU/Linux yet. The TBS-5925 is special because
the stv090x.c demodulator code is open source. One easy way to switch
of HVS is by initializing the demodulator in DUAL MODE (this in no
typo). CrazyCat shows how this is done hardcoded when compiling your
driver. See here:

http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9243
http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9243

In dual mode your BS only receiver will work error free down to 3.5dB
lower S/N values than before.

---In MSG-1@..., <hctpeters@...> wrote :

Ernst,

all is working like a charm! Thanks for you work and the files. Very
interesting to read the code and learn.
I had to slightly change the code of hex-decimal-conversion in the SNR
update file but now it's working and looking great! :-)

Even data is coming in again...I had to wipe the dish as it was covered
by snow....so investing in the snow shield for the LNB was good, but
didn't solved the snow problem at all. Maybe I need a dish heater...!? :-D

Regards,

Christian