From: "Guy Martin" <agm@...>
To: <MSG-1@...>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] Equipment for receiving MSG-1

I don't believe the Rx machine needs to be anything special, I use an Abit
KT7 with a Duron 800 and its just cruising along consuming minimal
resources. However when data arrives it does need to deal with it instantly
and not be held up by MDM decompressing or saving, it needs a 'non maskable
interrupt' in effect and MDM provides a tick box to do just this. I use a
Gigabyte GA7VKML with an Athlon 1200 in the display machine and the
processor goes to 100% when MDM is dealing with data and uses about 322/512
Mb of RAM. I really need a faster machine for this application although
having said that it does work ok with no dropped segments. A serious spec
machine may function well as a single unit and a lower grade machine could
receive data and decompress/display alternately. It is always important to
turn off services that you don't need and which consume resources as vanilla
installs come with everything turned on. Regarding XP, I'm a Win2K man and
not yet happy with XP when u!
sed outside of MS products.

Cheers, Guy