Re: Move to DVB-S2

geojohnt@...

In a message dated 16/09/2013 16:35:32 GMT Daylight Time, alan@... writes:
    I am building up a strong feeling that this forthcoming changeover is
going to be an unmitigated shambles. From a well-used, well-tested
commercial TV reception system we are moving to a new, complex system,
and one that will not have been well tested and of which few examples
are in the wild.
If ever there is a time to think
of the indispensable engineer's motto (if it ain't broke, don't fix it),
it is now!
Alan,

As Alan Banks suggested we have had the good fortune of being able to access professional EUMETSAT data.
[For a long time and via cost effective domestic electronics.]

We should not forget that it could have been oh so different when MSG-1 was launched.
Having battled the UK Met Office (as secretary of an/other amateur group) for many months with the support of EUMETSAT I finally obtained an agreement from the Met Office for access by amateurs to direct dissemination MSG data. All we had been allowed was access to data via the Internet.
[This case was not unique to the UK Met Office, several other countries [EUMETSAT Council] had barred access to direct readout data by amateurs. I'm pleased to say they all eventually permitted access and we were granted 3 year reception licences]

However, there were no viable receivers for MSG LRIT - never mind HRIT data.
Unless you had several thousand pounds in the bank and a large dish.

It was to our great advantage that MSG-1's power amplifiers failed and EUMETSAT had to find another means of data distribution - EUMETCast.
The rest is history as they say.

But DVB-S has really come to the end of its usefulness/capacity.
More and more data is added to the stream every year and we still have (hopefully) NPP imaging to be added to the stream.
And MTG is not far away requiring even more bandwidth.
Yes, things look a bit 'unclear' at the moment and I guess it's safe to say the receiver is going to cost more.

EUMETSAT's job (really) is to provide data for professionals though they do appreciate there are a lot of amateur users.
With DVB-S2 there are two streams - the High Volume Service professional stream and a Basic Service similar to what we have now.
I don't think you can't mix DVB-S and DVB-S2 on one transponder and it would not be cost effective to rent two transponders.

At the moment it looks a little like 'watch this space?'

Regards,
John Tellick.