From: David J Taylor
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 4:11 PM
To: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] DVBWorld problems

Just to clarify my position re Windows 8 and the Dexatek/DVBWorld drivers
and software, I only have them working on my backup 32 bit Windows 8 system.

Attempting to run Dexatek/DVBWorld drivers on Windows 8 64-bit not only
proved impossible but seriously corrupted my Windows 8 start up and as I had
downloaded the operating system from the internet ( for �24 ) without a
back-up disc I lost the whole operating system.

I am now running Windows 7 64-bit on that computer and would not recommend
you even try using Dexatek/DVBWorld boxes on Windows 8 64-bit as there are
serious risks. Lets get a reality check with these boxes, you need 5/6 year
old drivers to get them to work on Windows 7 64-bit and there has been no
updated drivers /software since Vista !!!

Ian,

Many thanks for that clarification. I understand that Win-8 now requires
signing for both 64-bit /and/ 32-bit drivers, but I am not 100% sure about
that. If you have a licence key for Windows-8, you can get the distribution
media from various places should you wish to experiment again. You may be
able to get a replacement key by contacting Microsoft. It's a reminder to
take a copy of anything downloaded for security. I have seen problems with
Windows start-up, but only on a Compaq system which had an EFI BIOS and
couldn't boot from CDs or DVDs I had made recovery DVDs but had no way of
using them. I think it managed with a USB stick containing Win-8/64
bootable. That system went back to Currys for a refund.

By contrast. my new Novatech system works a treat, although there are rather
more BIOS options than I am used to. Fast delivery and a vey knowledgeable
pre-sales service. Ordered on the Tuesday, arrived on the Wednesday.
Delivery charge included in the quoted price.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the Win-8/64 system and the DVB World
drivers - I followed the published steps for installing unsigned drivers and
they worked as expected. An add-on USB 3.0 port didn't work properly, but
the box appears OK on a USB 2.0 port. I had also been testing with a 32-bit
Win-8 PC until the power supply for the Dexatek failed, and that worked
correctly as well. It does seem that you have been unlucky. In fact the
only device which /has/ caused problems on Win-8 has been the TechniSat USB
2 box, where, although the drivers installed, the PC would randomly reboot.
It now appears that TechniSat aren't supporting Windows-8 for some products.
Bear in mind that at least some of the Microsoft drivers for Windows-8 are
also 5-6 years old, so don't be put off simply by the driver age.