Re: DVBWorld problems

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

Just to clarify my position re Windows 8 and the Dexatek/DVBWorld drivers
and software, I only have them working on my backup 32 bit Windows 8 system.

Attempting to run Dexatek/DVBWorld drivers on Windows 8 64-bit not only
proved impossible but seriously corrupted my Windows 8 start up and as I had
downloaded the operating system from the internet ( for �24 ) without a
back-up disc I lost the whole operating system.

I am now running Windows 7 64-bit on that computer and would not recommend
you even try using Dexatek/DVBWorld boxes on Windows 8 64-bit as there are
serious risks. Lets get a reality check with these boxes, you need 5/6 year
old drivers to get them to work on Windows 7 64-bit and there has been no
updated drivers /software since Vista !!!

Ian,

Many thanks for that clarification. I understand that Win-8 now requires signing for both 64-bit /and/ 32-bit drivers, but I am not 100% sure about that. If you have a licence key for Windows-8, you can get the distribution media from various places should you wish to experiment again. You may be able to get a replacement key by contacting Microsoft. It's a reminder to take a copy of anything downloaded for security. I have seen problems with Windows start-up, but only on a Compaq system which had an EFI BIOS and couldn't boot from CDs or DVDs I had made recovery DVDs but had no way of using them. I think it managed with a USB stick containing Win-8/64 bootable. That system went back to Currys for a refund.

By contrast. my new Novatech system works a treat, although there are rather more BIOS options than I am used to. Fast delivery and a vey knowledgeable pre-sales service. Ordered on the Tuesday, arrived on the Wednesday. Delivery charge included in the quoted price.

Sorry to hear about the problems with the Win-8/64 system and the DVB World drivers - I followed the published steps for installing unsigned drivers and they worked as expected. An add-on USB 3.0 port didn't work properly, but the box appears OK on a USB 2.0 port. I had also been testing with a 32-bit Win-8 PC until the power supply for the Dexatek failed, and that worked correctly as well. It does seem that you have been unlucky. In fact the only device which /has/ caused problems on Win-8 has been the TechniSat USB 2 box, where, although the drivers installed, the PC would randomly reboot. It now appears that TechniSat aren't supporting Windows-8 for some products. Bear in mind that at least some of the Microsoft drivers for Windows-8 are also 5-6 years old, so don't be put off simply by the driver age.