Re: No network

R. Alblas

Tony,
You mentioned Hotbird a few times. Please note that you need Eurobird, at 9 degrees east, not Hotbird! (Changed some years ago.
Rob.

tony_ei8jk schreef op 2012-09-11 17:45:

--- In MSG-1@yahoogroups.com, "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

Hi David.

No I'm not sure I have the dish correctly pointed, that was the gist my
question ... is it possible to get an on screen signal strength with those
parameters from Hotbird ?

If you can, then I'm probably on Hotbird and need to play with the dish some
more.
If you can't then I can lock the dish and look for the problem indoors.

73, Tony.
=======================================

With an 85 cm dish here in Scotland, and one I suspect isn't 100% correctly
aligned, I get 65% quality and 8.5 dB (varying) SNR. That's on a SkyStar
2.6D card on a Windows XP PC, 4.4.1 drivers. Signal strength graph here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_eumetcast-snr.php

You may be nearer the edge of the footprint, and/or have a poorer alignment,
and your figures don't then seem unreasonable. In southern England I would
expect higher. Sometimes the network name does come up blank, so that's no
indication. If you are using a DVB World USB box with 64-bit drivers, there
are other issues which appear to allow video through but not data, hence my
question about which receiver and operating system you have.

73,
Sorry David, I didn't pose my question very well. I wondered if the
signal strength/quality is derived from the digital stream as I note
that the Hotbird digital stream on 11977 MHz is a different symbol
rate & FEC.

I have an 80cm dish to a Skystar 2 internal card and Eumetcast V4 software.
PC is a 2.6 GHz Celeron running XP SP3 and I'm in IO51dn

I haven't tried video as I didn't load the TV software, but I suppose
that would immediately tell me which satellite I'm on. I'll maybe try
that later.

73, Tony