Re: DVBWorld DVBS2 HD

seggins2000

From: David J Taylor
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:27 AM
To: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [MSG-1] DVBWorld DVBS2 HD

Yes checked them. Used the recommended one but it made no difference.
Eumetsat were unable to help.
I have commented to GEO that their web ad implies the DVBS2HD works for
Eumetcast, whereas the ad in the quarterly magazine states it does not.
I have a use for the DVBS2HD as a TV receiver which is an excellent
product...I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone...hey ho.
I suspect it filters out pure 'data' channels and presents only TV and
Radio.
I await the arrival of a DVBS box.
Meanwhile back to old system for a while...
Regards
John

John,

I'm sure that someone /has/ used the S2 box with EUMETCast without problems,
but it's possible that this is slightly different hardware to what has been
tested before. David Simmons may be able to test the current batch.

The issue of "working"/"not working" is this. At some point in the future,
likely into 2014, EUMETSAT will change to a new broadcast standard for
EUMETCast, which will likely require the purchase of a new DVB box or card
capable of handling variable and adaptive coding (VCM and ACM). Such boxes
will also be HDTV/S2 compatible, but it is not yet clear whether all "S2"
boxes will eventually have the necessary VCM & ACM. EUMETSAT tests in
September last year indicated that /no/ consumer-level boxes had the
necessary capability. David Simmons has located one box which does, but it
is a professional level item:

http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs5925-dvb-s2-tv-tuner-usb.html

at a professional level price (£170+). I've tried this box very briefly on
2-bit Win-7, and it does work OK for the current EUMETCast broadcasts, and
it /should/ work in the future as well. David S is testing it further at
the moment.

GEO did not want to give anyone the impression that buying the DVB World S2
box right now would guarantee operation with the future EUMETCast VCM/ACM
standard, hence the wording.

From previous experience, I expect that the DVB World S2 box would work
perfectly with a 32-bit version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Email: mailto:david-taylor%40blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks David, that helps a lot. The future developments are interesting to read about...I suspect the solutions will be quite a bit more expensive. We have been very lucky these last few years in having an amazing service for very little capital outlay.

Regards

John