Re: New Station

James Brown

If I may just add a couple of extra words of encouragement -

It really is quite an amazing opportunity that many of us who are 'remote sensing amateurs' are offered courtesy of Eumetsat. The plethora of data on offer is the envy of countries even like the US. It is perhaps that very comprehensiveness that can appear at first daunting. New data streams seem to come online every couple of months, and so many of them are freely available once you have a licence from Eumetsat.

David gave me the advice some while ago which I have never regretted following - in terms of a processing computer - get the best you can afford at the time - in terms of greatest CPU and RAM capability. It was good advice - thankfully I build computers from scratch so sourcing the best prices, but for quality items was not a problem. I am glad I followed that advice, because it allows me to take the majority of data streams without losing packets because of a hiatus in the CPU or disk cycles. His new advice to you here is sound.

Once you have an appropriate sized dish - the fun and games is with the dish pointing - personally I couldn't manage without a satellite meter. But if the dish installation is from new, then do a visual check with a compass before buying or installing - if the line of sight is clear then great, but if you have trees or other obstructions, then you might need a re-think.

That's the mechanics over - the rest is largely software issues. Apart from some free progs, remember David's programmes come with a 30 day trial period which is plenty long enough to check on reception. I am also glad of his constant updates to cope with file re-names, new data, etc. Bear in mind he has some deals for multiple purchases - I personally think his toolsets are very good value for money - but it depends on your pocket and preferences.

It is perfectly possible to start 'lite' with just MSG-2 a couple of PID's in the satellite set-up and then slowly work your way up - but perhaps you have an area of special interest or research - SST's, precipitation, volcanic aerosols, to name but a few. It's all there, but a lot of reading and a steep learning curve if you want to max out on the data!!

My experience goes back to the 1980's when I was receiving polar orbiter satellites using a home-built fax machine, but I can assure you that there are plenty here who have plunged in much more recently - lots of hand-holders here if you need us.

Have a great time,

James

In message <9713F1CC6D2045E4A9EDE8070312E2F7@Alta>, David J Taylor <gm8arv@...> writes

I'm about to start up a new station any help with what hardware and setup to
have. I would be most greatful.
Require more info on PC config.Hard drive, Ram drive, memory, OS
Thanks for your time
Pete
===============================

Pete,

You may find these pages helpful:

http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/atovs/index.html

http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/index.htm

If you can use XP, that might be the simplest choice. 3 GB of memory.

With Windows-7, I would go for the 64-bit version with 4-8 GB of memory.
Use a 90+ GB SSD for the system disk, and a 2 TB HD for the EUMETCast data.
A RAM disk of 300-500 MB for EUMETCast temporary files substantially reduces
the data losses.

My ideal solution might be a 2-PC configuration, with the receiver PC
running XP/32/1GB or Win-7/32/2GB, with the processing PC being Win-7/64/8GB
as above.

Do ask if you have any questions.

James Brown