From: "Robert Moore" <rsmoore@liverpool.ac.uk>
To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 10:26 AM
Subject: [MSG-1] mini-scans

What is the purpose of these miniscans? Presumably EUMETSAT is carrying
out
planned procedures as part of the commissioning process - I'd be
interested to
know more. Haven't seen any explanation on their web site.

Robert

Mini-scans (or rapid scans using pre MSG jargon) are very useful for the
meteorologist and that capability has always been built in to the Meteosat
range.
Presumably at the moment Eumetsat want to finalise all system testing before
the satellite becomes operational in a few weeks.
Unlike the GOES situation where the normal routine (of an operational
satellite) can be altered to accommodate frequent scans of a bad weather
area I don't think (but could well be wrong) that the operational Meteosat
would ever be used. However someday MSG-1 will be a standby and could well
be used for such a service as Meteosat 6 is at the moment. In addition if
there is bugs in the system (such as suspect SSPA's ) best to find out
before the launch of MSG-2 in 2005 !

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/