Re: not yet perfect, but...

David J Taylor

Also TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE
Sorry for the shouting, but that can take up a lot of resources.
Use one of the free disk imaging utilities and you don't need sytem restore.
See here for a choice of what's available
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm
Cheers

Alan
What you might want to do is to have System Restore running on your system disk, but not on your data disk(s). That gives you some chance of recovery if you don't routinely run disk imaging.

In this case, System Restore is unlikely to be the problem, as Ulrich's system shows a steady packet loss correlated with the data flow, and not daily peaks when System Restore might be active.

http://eumetmon.rummelecke.de/

I've suggested that, for the moment at least, he move the missed packets graph up to below the DVB-S traffic graph.

By the way, Ulrich. I have noticed that on a reboot you MRTG can give you a false peak, like the peak seen in your LAN traffic. If I get such a false peak (and I appreciate that yours may be real and not false), is to stop MRTG, edit the log file, and restart MRTG. I do this so that the regular variations are seen in their correct context, and not hidden by a reboot. Here's a contrived example, from a reboot of my main PC this morning (after an iTunes update):

___________________________________
1299232200 679564 17203 701035 17579
1299231900 605254 18251 718448 24061
1299231600 447832 14998 718448 24061
1299231300 4478320 149980 7184480 240610
1299231000 4478320 149980 7184480 240610
1299230700 4478320 149980 7184480 240610
1299230400 414766 10333 514455 11263
1299230100 302383 9131 514455 11263
1299229800 278167 13189 284949 14310
___________________________________
1299232200 679564 17203 701035 17579
1299231900 605254 18251 718448 24061
1299231600 447832 14998 718448 24061
1299231300 0 0 0 0
1299231000 0 0 0 0
1299230700 0 0 0 0
1299230400 414766 10333 514455 11263
1299230100 302383 9131 514455 11263
1299229800 278167 13189 284949 14310

The false lines tend to stand out visually by being longer than the other lines, and often have repeated values. You can see the gap in the LAN traffic around 09:30 UTC:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_narvik.php