Re: not yet perfect, but...

Ulrich G. Kliegis

Alan,

thanks for the explicit description. I hope it will help others too. As you see
from my parallel posting, my setup is not that much different from yours.
Streamlining the data paths is essential, I remember the discussions about
this here some years ago.

Also TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE
Sorry for the shouting, but that can take up a lot of resources.
Use one of the free disk imaging utilities and you don't need sytem
restore.
Very good point (potentially, did not yet check that). Since I have acronis
true image taking a picture of the system disk each week, (and that is not
stored on the same drive!) I feel pretty comfortable, backup-wise (pun
intended).

After the defragmentation, I will do the next steps.

Cheers,
U.