Re: not yet perfect, but...

Alan Banks <alan@...>

On 04/03/2011 10:02, Ulrich G. Kliegis wrote:

Keep processing programs in their own folder and
not default 'Program Files'.
That one is new to me. You say, I should move, say, MSGadmin out of its
&#92;programs&#92;DJTsoftware&#92;MSG1&#92; context to, say, ..&#92;MSG1&#92; ?

What is the difference?

See David's reply.
I have the following structure and have no losses.
AMD Sempron 1800MHz.
Disk 0 (system) 80Gb
Disk 1 (Data) 200GB
2Gb RAM
320MB Ramdrive
and Win XP Home

Disk 0 has following folders
Windows
Program Files inc TechniSat DVB, Microsoft Security Essentials, Auslogics defrag (run once daily)

David_J_Taylor with GSS, 2 iterations of MSGDM, MSGAnimator
MSG-1&#92;images&#92;**
mrtg-2.16.3
Documents & Settings
myweb/documents

Disk 1
T-Systems
Received folders
I also use it to store a drive image of Disk 0 and a years worth of particular HRIT files I wanted and as a backup for some old files. Once defragged and optimized the unused stuff tends to be on the slower part of the drive and the head has less work to do write/erase the received folders (that's the theory anyway)

My feeling is that the writing from ramdrive to received folders is the critical issue. The less that harddrive has to do the better and the bigger the cache the better. I think mine is 16MB.

Also TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE
Sorry for the shouting, but that can take up a lot of resources.
Use one of the free disk imaging utilities and you don't need sytem restore.
See here for a choice of what's available
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm
Cheers

Alan