Re: not yet perfect, but...

David J Taylor

David (and others!),
last night, I checked the settings of my receiver again. Then, one idea hit me
- you may remember that I had to freshly install it last year. Did I think of
switching Windows' indexing function off? Nope. What followed, was two
hours of intensive re-asserting file properties on two HDDs. While that was
running, I saw that there were tons of old directories on the two disks (one
works for MSG, the other for NOAA and Metop). Purging those put some
additional strain on the r/w-heads in the disk drives. You see these activities
reflected in the missed packets graph of last night. Then - silence. Quiet
disks, and no missed packets in the graph. Well. That lasted a few minutes.
Then the grass started growing again, and I am back to normal now. At
least, the CPU usage has decreased, while it rested on 100% for a second
or two yesterday, about every few seconds, then fell back to 0 to 5%, 100%
appears in short peaks now only.

I also re-arranged the virtual memory, it is on a otherwise not used partition
right now (but physically on the same drive like C:\).

Acronis Backup operates only once per week, so, that can be ruled out too.
No virus protection, no service that eats ressources.

I can't believe yet that my system is insufficient for this job.

Cheers,
U.
Yes, Ulrich, I can see the events on your graphs. Be careful with multiple partitions on the same disk. If the disk head needs to move half way across the disk to access the other partition, that could be a greater penalty than having those files just one the same partition. Using two physical disks is a much better solution - perhaps system files and my software on one disk, EUMETCast and processed data files on a second disk. In any case, get a disk with good performance - with a 32MB or 64MB buffer.

I would recommend having a real-time defragmenter running - with the TelliCast 2.4.4 client software we have found mstDefrag to be very acceptable, and have almost zero effect on received data (i.e. we could not attribute any extra losses to running the defragmenter). I've used version 2 and 3, but I see they are up to version 7 now. How did they manage that?

http://www.mstsoftware.com/mst-Defrag

There are a couple of free programs which we've used with success as well:

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Both will defrag "when needed" by monitoring the disk state. Auslogics will defrag no more than once per 12 hours, and Smart Defrag not more than every three hours. If you haven't defragged your disk, that could be the issue.

From the TelliCast configuration standpoint:

- you have checked that the FSY files are actually on your RAMdisk, I suppose? But judging from your FSY graph they must be!

- I recommend using the common tmp_directory entry in the recv.ini file, rather than individual entries in the recv-channels.ini file - it is cleaner and makes the channels file simpler. Something like:

______________________________
[parameters]
tmp_directory=temp

The directory should be on the same partition as the \received\ directories. As Alan mentions, all this should be /outside/ the Program Files tree. I installed to C:\EUMETCast\ in one Windows XP installation. My recv-channels.ini file then has lines like:

[EUMETSAT Data Channel 1]
target_directory=received\Data Channel 1

[EUMETSAT Data Channel 2]
target_directory=received\Data Channel 2

[EUMETSAT Data Channel 3]
target_directory=received\Data Channel 3