Re: write permission for rateup.exe - was: Getting MRTG to work

Ulrich G. Kliegis

David, Giuseppe, and other MRTGeroes,
the problem in my setup seems to be the write permission for rateup.exe,
which is unexplainable to me. I never experienced any problems with these
access rights on that machine (XP Pro).

The error messsages sent from MRTG / Rateup.exe indicate, though, that
rateup can't rename any *.png.tmp file to the corresponding ~.png file.
It seems to miss to delete the pevious ~png file first.
It writes new ~.tmp files, though.

When I rename a ~png.tmp file to, say, ~2.png, the content shows a correct
result, like a realistic strength value. So, apart from the rewriting function,
most other things look good so far.

I checked the permission properties. The files themselves are fully writable,
no restrictions

The folder(s), though, show a write-protect-box symbol filled with a pale
green square, not the 'v' check mark. I can clear that, but it reappears
immediately. As said, I have not experienced any other permission
restricitons on that machine.

Finally, MRTG somehow thinks it lives on a Win 2000 machine - that's what
the cfgmaker wrote into the mrtg-cfg header block. No idea why, no idea
what consequences this has upon the permission structure.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,U.