Re: Getting MRTG to work

David J Taylor

David, it needn't be you to reply, maybe some of the other MRTG-ops can direct me too.

I created a first basic configuration file today, and - since I don't intend to monitor the ethernet
traffic of that PC right now, commented-out all line that deal with the ethernet interface -
realizing that an IP address deliberately given by the DHCP-server may cause additional efforts
- or will the mrtg mechanism look up the address each time the PC is restarted?
You can use the loopback address (127.0.0.1) or PC name instead of the numeric IP address:

Target[Alta-LAN]: 11:public@....0.1

Target[Alta-LAN]: 11:public@Alta

The loopback address doesn't look as elegant, but is most likely to stay the same!

The interface/network number (11) may vary if you change the configuration (e.g. add Wi-Fi dongle). Once the configuration is set, I tend to reboot, and run cfgmaker, to see what the network numbers actually are.

Anyway, not the topic right now, but rather this: Here ist the top of the DVB-related part of the
config file generated by the cfgmaker routine:

### Interface 131074 >> Descr: 'TechniSat-DVB-PC-TV-Star-PCI' | Name: '' | Ip:
'192.168.238.238' | Eth: '00-d0-d7-0f-ee-a5' ###

Target[windbuedel_131074]: 131074:public@windbuedel:
SetEnv[windbuedel_131074]: MRTG_INT_IP="192.168.238.238"
MRTG_INT_DESCR="TechniSat-DVB-PC-TV-Star-PCI"
MaxBytes[windbuedel_131074]: 12500000
Title[windbuedel_131074]: Traffic Analysis for 131074 -- WINDBUEDEL
PageTop[windbuedel_131074]: <h1>Traffic Analysis for 131074 -- WINDBUEDEL</h1> ...

windbuedel is the PC-name. I saw in your examples, David, that you use a nomenclature like
Target[windbuedel_dvb]. Is this preferable (except for readability)? And if so, where is the place
to tell mrtg that 131074 = dvb?

Sorry for my probably rather trivial questions, this is a new field for me. So, thanks in advance
for all helpful advice!

Cheers,
U.
I try and keep a consistent set of names across the PCs here, so I would use:

Target[Alpha_DVB]: 16:public@....0.1

Target[Bravo_DVB]: 14:public@....0.1

Target[Charlie_DVB]: 11:public@....0.1

and once I know the DVB network number I tend to use copy-and-paste from an existing config such as:

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# PC Alta DVB World USB box
#---------------------------------------------------------------

Target[Alta_DVB]: 16:public@Alta
MaxBytes[Alta_DVB]: 12500000
Options[Alta_DVB]: unknaszero, growright, noo
Title[Alta_DVB]: EUMETCast - Eurobird-9 satellite on DVB World USB box
PageTop[Alta_DVB]: <H2>EUMETCast - PC Alta - DVB World USB box
</H2>
<TABLE>
<TR><TD>Interface:</TD><TD>DVB World USB box</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD><TD>12.5? MBytes/s</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

The network number is the most awkward to get, as cfgmaker will list all sorts of artificial interfaces as well as the real ones! Tunneling, Toredo and all sorts. With experience, you get to spot the real ones, but sometimes using a ROUTE PRINT command from DOS will help, as there is a list of interfaces at the start of its output. That's the way to find the number for the Target line (such as 16 in the Alta example above). If you get a plot of zeroes you know you may have the wrong number!