Re: METOP

e.macgurk@...

--- In MSG-1@..., "David J Taylor" <gm8arv@...> wrote:

Hi all.

I have been reading with interest all the posts regarding METOP,to be
fair iv only just downloaded and had a go 2 or 3 times, on all occasions
the problem iv had is when i check the log file in the telicast shell it
reads " the date and time followed by a number then message lost (lost
message)" in active channels the anouncement channel and ESP 10 are
green and connected.
i do use the same PC for MSG data managar with great success, but i dont
run the 2 at the same time, i have been switching off data channel 2 and
3 used for MSG, then activating ESP 10, as mentiond the channel is
connecting but all i am getting is hours worth of lost messages, i have
not gone down the route of using a RAM disc, but this is my next
challenge.
please could i have any thoughts with the issue of constant lost
messages when using METOP data channels.

Thankyou.

Eric.
Eric,

A RAMdisk is essential with the TelliCast 2.4.4 client for receiving both
Metop and other data, and I have written some suggestions here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/RAMdisk.html

There are a number of excellent, free programs available. I would
normally recommend a 300MB RAMdisk.

I have a couple of systems here which, on a single PC, both receive and
process Meteosat-9, EARS AVHRR and Metop AVHRR data, essentially without
loss. One is an AMD system with an AMD-64 X2 4400 processor, Windows
Vista-32, and 2GB of memory (also running SBS Virtual Radar and Plane
Plotter), and the other is a more recent system with an Intel i5-760
processor, Windows-7 64-bit, and 8GB of memory. As it happens, both those
systems are running an unreleased TelliCast 2.5.17 client, and are working
without a RAMdisk, and with USB receiver boxes (Dexatek on the AMD and DVB
World on the Intel, in case it matters).

So although EUMETSAT and I both recommend a two-PC setup (the receiver PC
can be a lower-powered Intel Atom box running 24 x 7) a well setup up,
single PC with a multi-core processor and 2GB+ memory can likely do the
job you need.

Hi.

For your infomation i installed the RAMdisc today the ARsoft and its somthing i should have done weeks ago, within the hour i had Metop running perfectly or at least i was receiving Metop images, i set the max rate it would allow 127Mb and added NOT changed the 2 components within the T systems folder, after an hour to be dareing i then activated data channel 2 and 3 and started MSG data managar, once again there was no problems at all, i was running Metop and MSG on the same PC without any issues.
The link that David sent regarding setting up the RAM disc i found was very easy to follow.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks.

Kind Regards.

Eric.