Re: New to Metop

Alan Sewards

David and Geoffrey,
I don't think Geoffrey is taking as much data in as you on Feenix. I take Met9, Metop A and N19, RSS and AVHRR and have never used more than the 128 MB mentioned. Current value is 59 MB after a while of running. I'm just telling him what works for me and the settings needed to achieve that.

Best regards - Alan S

On 23/02/2011 12:36 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
After installing the software, you set it up by going into Device
Manager and selecting RAMdisk, where you can set the Drive letter, drive
size and other parameters (I use B:, 128MB, FAT and the defaults).

I hope I have given you enough information to get started with the
RAMdisk. If you choose drive letter B:, don't forget to put this in
recv.ini: file_database_directory=B:\receiving in the [locations]
section together with file_database_size=118000000 in the [parameters]
section at the end.

Good luck - Alan S
Alan,

Good to hear your recommendation for some other RAMdisk software. Current
recommendations from EUMETSAT are for 300MB of RAMdisk, which would then
allow a setting of

file_database_size=313000000

in the recv.ini, allowing a little margin (300MB is 314,572,800 bytes, the
the disk structures take a little space). If the RAMdisk can only be set
to 256MB, then use

file_database_size=266000000

and remember to count the number of zeroes! You can see what I've needed
on my own system taking Meteosat-9, EARS AVHRR, MODIS-L1 and Metop/N19
world-wide AVHRR/GAC data here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/feenix-fsy.html

As you can see, after a restart on Saturday, it's already up to 153MB, and
did get up to near the 300MB limit during the snows of early December and
late January.

Alan Sewards
email: alan@...
web site: http://asewards.free.fr