Re: New to Metop

David J Taylor

After installing the software, you set it up by going into Device
Manager and selecting RAMdisk, where you can set the Drive letter, drive
size and other parameters (I use B:, 128MB, FAT and the defaults).

I hope I have given you enough information to get started with the
RAMdisk. If you choose drive letter B:, don't forget to put this in
recv.ini: file_database_directory=B:\receiving in the [locations]
section together with file_database_size=118000000 in the [parameters]
section at the end.

Good luck - Alan S
Alan,

Good to hear your recommendation for some other RAMdisk software. Current recommendations from EUMETSAT are for 300MB of RAMdisk, which would then allow a setting of

file_database_size=313000000

in the recv.ini, allowing a little margin (300MB is 314,572,800 bytes, the the disk structures take a little space). If the RAMdisk can only be set to 256MB, then use

file_database_size=266000000

and remember to count the number of zeroes! You can see what I've needed on my own system taking Meteosat-9, EARS AVHRR, MODIS-L1 and Metop/N19 world-wide AVHRR/GAC data here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/feenix-fsy.html

As you can see, after a restart on Saturday, it's already up to 153MB, and did get up to near the 300MB limit during the snows of early December and late January.