Re: METOP

David J Taylor

Hi all.

I have been reading with interest all the posts regarding METOP,to be fair iv only just downloaded and had a go 2 or 3 times, on all occasions the problem iv had is when i check the log file in the telicast shell it reads " the date and time followed by a number then message lost (lost message)" in active channels the anouncement channel and ESP 10 are green and connected.
i do use the same PC for MSG data managar with great success, but i dont run the 2 at the same time, i have been switching off data channel 2 and 3 used for MSG, then activating ESP 10, as mentiond the channel is connecting but all i am getting is hours worth of lost messages, i have not gone down the route of using a RAM disc, but this is my next challenge.
please could i have any thoughts with the issue of constant lost messages when using METOP data channels.

Thankyou.

Eric.
Eric,

A RAMdisk is essential with the TelliCast 2.4.4 client for receiving both Metop and other data, and I have written some suggestions here:

http://www.satsignal.eu/wxsat/Dexatek/RAMdisk.html

There are a number of excellent, free programs available. I would normally recommend a 300MB RAMdisk.

I have a couple of systems here which, on a single PC, both receive and process Meteosat-9, EARS AVHRR and Metop AVHRR data, essentially without loss. One is an AMD system with an AMD-64 X2 4400 processor, Windows Vista-32, and 2GB of memory (also running SBS Virtual Radar and Plane Plotter), and the other is a more recent system with an Intel i5-760 processor, Windows-7 64-bit, and 8GB of memory. As it happens, both those systems are running an unreleased TelliCast 2.5.17 client, and are working without a RAMdisk, and with USB receiver boxes (Dexatek on the AMD and DVB World on the Intel, in case it matters).

So although EUMETSAT and I both recommend a two-PC setup (the receiver PC can be a lower-powered Intel Atom box running 24 x 7) a well setup up, single PC with a multi-core processor and 2GB+ memory can likely do the job you need.