Ever heard of ECOMET?

Luca Bertagnolio <lucaberta@...>

Browsing the Belgian Met Office website I've come across some infos
on a joint effort by most European Met Offices called ECOMET:

http://www.meteo.oma.be/ECOMET/

Its definition is this:

-----

The concept of ECOMET

ECOMET is an Economic Interest Grouping under Belgian law located in
Brussels. ECOMET was created end of 1995. Its 20 Members are the
National Meteorological Services (NMSs) of : Austria, Belgium,
Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland,
Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland, Turkey and the United-Kingdom.

The ECOMET grouping reinforces the traditional relationships amongst
the NMSs and the developing relationships with the private sector
within the relevant EU regulations.
[...]

-----

What I found interesting was this other paragraph:

-----

Objectives of ECOMET

The primary objectives of ECOMET are to preserve the free and
unrestricted exchange of meteorological information between the NMSs
for their operational functions within the framework of WMO
regulations and to ensure the widest availability of basic
meteorological data and products for commercial applications.

Further objectives of ECOMET are :

-to guarantee the access to meteorological data and products, be it
for public or private sectors.
[...]

-----

So it looks like ECOMET could have somehow been another interface to
exploit in order to have a general European license for amateur MSG-1
reception (since there would be no fee associated).

Does anyone more about this effort? John maybe?

Bye, Luca
Brussels, Belgium