From: "Dave Martin" <Dave.Martin@manx.net>
To: <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 6:20 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] Re: Two PC's and MSG

Basil,

as a personal view I would not use XP, especially for the 'receiver' PC

Whenever I require a stable machine I use Win2k (and in fact I have
upgraded a number of machines from XP to W2k ! )

I'm certain XP is an improvement, but there are times when it seems to
be/get "too clever". In particular, with respect to the MSG capture
application, at a whim it will apparently re-number interfaces and IP
addresses (so you appear to 'loose' the Technisat card); also with the
increased OS complexity (i) there is a bigger OS overhead, and (ii) it seems
more prone to go off to perform OS or housekeeping tasks (or even go and
pick bluebells?) with consequent impact on receive performance.
<snip>
Dave M
<snip>