Re: Two PC's and MSG

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

I have four PC's and I wish to network two from the following to
receive MSG.

1. 900MHz/256Mb Win98SE
2. 2GHz/512Mb Win98SE
3. 1GHz/768Mb Win98SE
4. 1.8GHz/512Mb XP Pro

I am not sure which to choose to get optimum performance. As you
can see three use Win98SE and one XP Pro.

Basil,

My opinion, for what it's worth, would be to use the lowest spec PC
for the Receiver PC (900Mhz 256MB), and replace the Win98 SE with
Windows 2000, or perhaps XP home. Doubtless someone here will say
they use Win98 SE without a problem...., you could start that way.

For processing, either the 1.8GHz or the 2GHz would be fine. I
would recommend more memory, and have a preference for the Windows
XP Pro system.

So you could be networked for the cost of a couple of networks cards
and cable (£20?), and have a couple of upgrades in mind for your
next birthday!

This is just a suggestions, and I would welcome other people's input
and advice.

Douglas Deans has done something similar, so perhaps he will write
up a brief note on how to network? <G>