Re: MTSAT-1R

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

From: "Ian Deans" <>
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 12:25 PM
To: "MSG" <MSG-1@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [MSG-1] MTSAT-1R

I think that the MTSAT-1R IR channel ( 10.8 ) has deteriorated a little and
the image is a little washed out with loss of detail.

Changing the image enhancement to " stretch " on the detailed image is just
too much. There is of course no adjustment available to this image in the
advance setting in Data Manager.

Unfortunately the quality of the FY2C IR image is even worse ( blurred )
making coverage of the area a little disappointing.

Regards
Ian
Ian,

There is no adjustment provided because the MTSAT-1R data is 8-bit data to start with, so by saving as PNG you would get /exactly/ what is sent out, and JPEG would be pretty close. The brightest levels should have these video-level / temperature-in-K values:

240:=196.482
241:=194.658
242:=192.748
243:=190.740
244:=188.620
245:=186.372
246:=183.975
247:=181.403
248:=178.619
249:=175.576
250:=172.207
251:=168.411
252:=164.030
253:=158.788
254:=152.130
255:=142.597

I agree that the cyclone doesn't show up too well - that /may/ simply be an indication of just how low the cloud-top temperatures are. I haven't had chance to check.

Web: www.satsignal.eu
Email: davidtaylor@writeme.com