Re: Segment Loss

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., Arne van Belle <a.van.belle@h...>
wrote:
Hello Ian,

I don't know if this has been discussed before (long thread) but
based on
your problem I guess a fragmented disc could be the cause.
My current recommendation is to schedule defragmentation once a week
for each disk, and to set the defrag to run at Low priority. My
recommended program is Executive Software's Diskeeper.

At Windows install I configured the swap space on the second
partition (D:) and fixed the size to 3 times the amount of RAM.
This way you can be sure that this part of the disc is reserved and
will never become fragmented by other files.

Agreed completely about fixing the pagefile, I sometimes use 2 x
RAM, and sometimes 3 x RAM depending on the applictions I expect to
run. It is best on a second physical spindle, just putting it on a
second partition may simply cause more head movement. However, it
should most certainly be contiguous for optimum system performance,
which means configuring it correctly very early on in the
installation sequence.

The other thing to watch out for is overfilling a disk. This can
cause fragmentation of the master file table (MFT) and an off-line,
boot time defragment is required to cure that. Much better not to
let it happen. If your partition gets above 85% full, you can get
problems.